Roy Gittins inherited Tymboo from his parents Norman and Hannah, who inherited the farm from the original owners, Thomas and Agnes Gittins, who gained proprietary rights to the property in 1869.
Thomas Gittins arrives in Brisbane
Thomas and Agnes Gittins gained proprietary rights to the property
Thomas noted that the local children, including his own, were growing up without education. He started a class in a room at his own home in 1875.
Local residents supported Thomas’s endeavour through the contribution of funds and labour and erected a school building which opened as the Teviot Junction Provisional School on 13 September 1879 with 12 students attending.
The Teviot Junction State School closed in 1899 with 19 students. The school buildings were later purchased by Norman Gittins and relocated to Tymboo and to another property at Pine Creek, Canungra.
The family lived in the old slab house until 1912, when the Tymboo homestead was built by German immigrant, Fred Klumpp with assistance from his brother Jack.
Roy placed his Canungra dairy on half shares in 1927, at which time he returned to assist with the running of Tymboo.
In 1936 Roy returned to Flying Fox, Canungra and focussed on improving his own property. Norman then built a cottage on Tymboo and put the dairy on half shares
The dairy was closed and the property turned to cattle breeding.
Roy bought Tymboo homestead from his father and in the same year also bought Clare from him, before marrying Sylvia Bagnall on the 15th October 1949.
Josh moves into The Cottage, formerly the dairy workers acommodation.
The extension is built alongside the original house, where the bush-house previously stood.
Isaac builds a house on the property.